Rachel is the owner of Island Harvest Farms right here on Camano Island. She loves growing food and selling it to the local community that she lives in! She also has an awesome Fresh Produce Stand right off of Arrowhead Road!
Links to Things Mentioned in this Episode:
Key Points of Interest:
- Where did Rachel grow up?
- Rachel started with Americorp in Boston
- From there, she moved into Office of the Family and Children as an ombudsman for 7 years
- She decided policy work wasn’t for her
- Upon moving to Boston, she wasn’t prepared for the humidity
- Rachel also make a bold claim about lobster vs crab
- How did Rachel get into farming?
- Took Horticulture classes at Edmonds Community College and loved them!
- She then took on an internship with Hogsback on Vashon Island
- Next, she continued on to Cloud Mountain Farm
- She purchased the land for Island Harvest Farm in August 2014
- How did she occupy herself throughout the first winter?
- Where did the farm stand idea come from?
- She also talks about the learning process of ordering seeds
- How big is her crew on the farm?
- Rachel also talks about what she has started to learn more about what this community likes
- Where did the credit program idea come from? What are the advantages of joining it?
- How did she get connected with Mike Nestor?
- What are the Farm to Table Dinners?
- Who did they get started?
- What does the future of Island Harvest Farms look like?
Camano Island Locations Mentioned in this Episode: